Disassembly

Currently the boat has been disassembled. I removed all of the deck hardware and the balance of the interior before beginning the hull and deck fiberglass projects.

The materials I found, are in quite good condition and were generally not that difficult to remove. The sea hood that I removed is a very nice part, made of aluminum. The fore and aft vents are solid bronze. The winches are all bronze and in good shape although they obviously are dated. The boat was only about two years old when the overhead material began flaking off of the coach roof interior. To fix it, the boat was taken to what is now Derecktor Shipyards, Mamaroneck Facility, on Long Island. There, a mahogany interior was applied to the coach roof. All of that work is in remarkably good condition today with one problem. When they applied the interior, they epoxied (or polyestered) everything to the fiberglass interior but left all of the fasteners to external stuff, under the new woodwork. This makes it impossible to remove anything or rebed external parts without destroying the interior. I feel bad about it but am keeping all of their pieces as patterns to redo it like it was.

Stb. vee berth before stripping    Stb. salon before stripping

Port salon after stripping    Stb. salon after stripping

I also found that during the boat's life, it was involved in a collision. (During a race, another yacht "T-Boned" her in the cockpit area when the other captain thought he would clear her transom. The bow of the other yacht came over the cockpit coaming and was finally stopped by the port genoa winch and the steering pedestal.) The collision required replacement of the Port cockpit coaming, a section of port toerail and included a little fiberglass work under the main sheet winch. I am trying to save all the coamings as they are difficult to replace (at least the large mahogany blocks tying the coamings to the coach roof). After the collision, one of the joints was redone as a flat scarf instead of a box scarf like the Starboard, and may require a whole new coaming. The other interesting thing about the cockpit area is that the main and genoa winch pedestals were fabricated by the first owner of aluminum. Although they may have been good for racing, they will be replaced in wood.

While disassembling the plumbing, I found that the port seacock that drains the cockpit and other stuff, was rubbing on the exhaust pipe and had a significant hole in it. Since it was hidden behind the exhaust pipe, I wonder if the previous owners wondered why the bilge pump was always running?

On the amusing side, in removing the rudder, I had to dig a hole under the boat to allow the rudder shaft to drop down from the hull. The shaft is about 36" into the boat and thus the hole had to be about 36" deep. In true form for Jamestown, I hit a major rock about 12" down. The rock was too large to move (we are talking MAJOR rock here!) and thus I had to break enough of it away to get the rudder out. I knew that moving the boat was not a very viable option at this point.

One interesting thing that I noted while removing the mahogany trim pieces that go all around the coach roof, is that these trim pieces are not decorative, but functional! The boat has a seam there that gets covered by the trim. Apparently these boats were assembled quite differently from boats today. The deck was molded without the "lid" over the coach roof. The deck was apparently mounted before any bulkheads were installed, and then the hull - deck joint was completely glassed for a permanent bond. After that, apparently the bulkheads and furniture were installed through the open coach roof, followed by the coach roof "lid" and then the overhead and ports could be completed.

Image showing coach roof seam

Now that the hull is completely disassembled, I have pretty much decided to replace all of the exterior wood. It seems a shame to replace some of the nicer pieces, but I found that in several places, there have been repairs to the toe rails, coamings, hatches, etc. If I try to save it, the new pieces probably would not match very well. The toe rails look as though they will present a challenge in that they change height from 3" forward to 2" aft and they are rotated to follow the changing hull angles.

Another interesting point that became very apparent during the disassembly, was the way she was built light for racing. The hull is solid glass but quite thin. She has longitudinal glass stringers for support to augment the stiffness obtained from the bulkheads and cabinet frames, but is only about 5/16" thick in the bilge slack. I thought that the hull would be a lot thicker at the through hull fittings, but found that they actually molded a step in place to keep the same thin section throughout. There is some core in the boat (not very much!!) along the side decks, in the lazarette deck, the cockpit sole, around the mast penetration and a little in the deck forward of the coach roof. The core is urethane foam and thus there is zero rot anywhere. I can't find any delamination in the deck but will have someone else give her the second look to be sure I don't miss anything.

Image showing through hull geometry   Photo of molding for flush style thru-hulls.

Project Index
Home